Sunday, April 11, 2010

Project 1 essay

The objective of first project was to create a unified design using the 6 key design principals; emphasis, contrast, balance, flow, alignment and repetition. For each term we had to visually express the meaning through typography.
The first word I started with was emphasis. As a design principal, emphasis means the focal point. The focal point in a design should be the first thing you notice. Therefore it should be bold and stand out over the rest of the design. For this reason, I placed emphasis near the top left corner of the page using the rule of 3rds. I made sure I outsize the letters for the term. I intended to make contrast my secondary focal point. I placed the letters of contrast at different angles and positions. I also changed the value of the letters to express the concept of contrast. I placed balance on top of contrast, in the middle of the page. I decided to use a triangular pyramid configuration to describe balance. Alignment simply refers to the position of placement of letters or a word. So for this term, I typed the word vertically down the paper except for the A, which was alignment upright at the same level as emphasis. In a design, flow is used to carry your eye through the piece. For flow I simply created a trail of the word that started at the top of the page and curved to the bottom. Repetition unifies a design by repeating same types of shapes, sizes and colors. For repetition I created an L configuration at the left corner of the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment